Monday, October 20, 2008

Workshop 3: Model Making








Throughout the 3 week period the improvement of my modelling stills was truly evident. The cuts became clean, the glue was no longer visible and all the gaps at the joints were no longer an issue. The skills I learnt because of benifecial guidance, personal experiences and trial and error resulted in more efficiently produced work of a higher standard.
During the introductory stages I struggle to put together a satisfactory standard cube and replica objects but by the end of the workshop I was confident in my ability to produce a well crafted model. I was happy with my first model attempt of my house and was able to learn a lot from it to improve and to prepare myself for the final project. These include the most effective ways to apply the glue and to construct the model, the use of masking tape to hold it together while the glue dries, the need to constantly break old blades off for clean cutting, methods such as scoring and many more.
In my final model I was pleased to create what was described as “architectural doodling” by forming a roof by joining small pieces of balsa wood to produce a sustainable roof that had a high visual appeal (this can be seen above). As well as this I was able to include all the shapes that were presented to me from the assigned model and combine them to demonstrate elevation. If I had my time again I would try to be more creative, using different mediums and Appling an abstract element.

No comments: